Stuffed Roma Tomatoes

Have you ever been asked out to a party or get-together on short notice, and then asked to please bring a snack or appetizer? While it doesn't happen often, it does happen. With the holidays coming up I've been thinking about last minute foods I can just throw together with a minimum amount of time and effort but a maximum amount of "YUMMINESS". Here is a recipe I came up with a few weeks ago when I got into a pinch and needed an appetizer on very short (like a couple of hours) notice.

I make my own pesto and freeze it in 4 ounce containers, but you can buy a pretty decent pesto sauce-premade-from the dairy section of most supermarkets these days. This is one of those must-have items to keep around for last minute ideas. You can purchase 3 or 4 tubs of the ready-made stuff and freeze it until needed. It thaws in less than an hour at room temperature.

I keep Roma tomatoes in my veggie bin year round. You will never come to my home and not find them (unless I just ran out, and I'll be getting more tomorrow). I like Roma Tomatoes because they are fairly small, usually firm, and always available. They puree well into sauce and are easy to chop for salsa fresca. They are also a wiz for cutting in half and stuffing with a variety of ingredients-from truffle infused savory rice pudding to simple shredded cheese. Roma tomatoes are the workhorse of the two-bite world!

Here is my last minute easy-breezy appetizer for everyday use!

Pesto Stuffed Roma Tomatoes
6 Roma tomatoes cut in half lengthwise
1 cup plain breadcrumbs
1/2 cup pesto
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese

Scoop out the 'guts' of the tomatoes and set aside for another use.

 Mix the breadcrumbs and pesto together in a bowl and stuff into the tomato shells.

Mix the two cheeses together and sprinkle over the tomatoes. Place them stuffing side up in a glass baking dish.

Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.

Comments

Popular Posts