Fish (Stick) Tacos

Happy Friday Fellow Foodies!

It is HOT HOT HOT in the Antelope Valley this week. I am talking 105-110 for 14 straight days hot. It is the kind of dry searing heat that takes your breath away, takes your appetite away, and sucks the energy right out of you. Even with air conditioning, I don't like to cook very much. Needless to say; we here,-in my house-have been eating lots of salads, cold pasta dishes, and ice cream. Tonight, however, I am feeling tacos. Not just any old tacos though. FISH STICK TACOS!...OK OK-I know what you are thinking-but have an open mind, and read on...

My daughter loves these fish sticks that I buy at Costco called "The Ultimate Fish Stick". I gotta admit, I do like a good fish stick now and again (it reminds me of yummy dinners with french fries and tons of ketchup as a kid). They are after all, one of the top 10 American "comfort foods".  These particular fish sticks do live up to their name, as well. They are made from whole fillets of fish, use very natural ingredients, and are just all-around-yummy!

This is one of those easy-peezie-lemon-squeezy-half-homemade dinners that does not heat up the house and takes about ten minutes to prepare! Who doesn't love that?!?

It's pretty simple to do: Just take a few fish sticks, and cook in the microwave (yes, the evil microwave) as directed on the package. Stuff them into corn, or flour tortillas with whatever you like on fish tacos! serve with salad, or rice and beans (which I also heat up in the aforementioned microwave), and you've got dinner-Ole!

I do make a lime/chipotle slaw from scratch to go with mine. Which Takes me all of 2 minutes to make. Here is the recipe:

Lime/Chipotle Slaw

1/2 cup mayo (any kind even fat free)
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp. minced chipotle pepper (you can use more if you want the slaw extra spicy)
1 Tbs. lime juice
1 ten ounce bag of pre-shredded cabbage (you can shred your own-but why?)
salt as needed

Mix the first 4 ingredients together in a little bowl. Pour the cabbage into a big mixing bowl. Pour the mayo mix over the cabbage and stir together! Serve within 12 hours to preserve the cabbage's crispiness.
If you want to "fancy-up" this slaw: Just add some shredded carrots and thinly sliced red onions to the mix. I happen to love this slaw and sere it as a side dish when I can.

Comments

Popular Posts