Oven Roasted Califlower


Happy Wednesday Fellow Foodies!
Last night I made cauliflower. If you know me, then you know that I would normally not go within miles and miles of cauliflower. I have bad memories of it being served over-cooked to the point where it was a stomach-turning translucent bluish color, stinky, mushy, and slightly bitter. So even after being a professional chef for 20+ years, I still have never been able to bring myself to eat the stuff.

The hubs, however, loves cauliflower. Thus I decided to find a recipe that looked not too offensive and give it a go. I love veggies roasted at super-high temperatures in the oven for a short period of time. This browns them and concentrates the flavors of the veggie, while allowing the texture to remain somewhat crunchy. (You might have guessed that mushie veggies are NEVER served in my home!)

I found a recipe for Roasted Cauliflower with lemon and garlic. I gave it a go, and I have to say this it was not only inoffensive, but down right tasty! I will most certainly be making this again, and again!


Roasted Cauliflower

1 head of Cauliflower-cut into small florets
2 cloves of garlic-peeled
juice of 1 lemon (3-4 Tbs.)
2 Tbs. Olive Oil
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbs. finely grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup minced chives

Preheat your oven to 500F. place the cauliflower into a large, nonreactive bowl. with a mortar and pestle grind the garlic and salt into a creamy pulp(* see note below). Add the lemon juice and olive oil, and stir together.
 


 

 Drizzle over the cauliflower and toss it together to evenly coat. Place the Cauliflower into a roasting pan, and bake at 500F for 15-20 minutes, until well browned. Remove from the over and sprinkle on the cheese, and the chives. Place back into the over for a moment or two, just to melt the cheese. Serve immediately. Yields 4-6 servings 9depending upon how much you like cauliflower).
* if you don't have a mortar and pestle (and really you should), just crush and mince your garlic by hand and mix with the salt, oil, and juice in a small bowl, then proceed as directed above.

Comments

Popular Posts