What is wrong with us? EVERYTHING!

Hello Fellow Foodies!

As you all know by now I have been on a quest to eat better, exercise more, and just try to be a healthier person. Loosing a ton of whale blubber would be nice too! So far, since getting serious about my weight issue, I have lost about 13 pounds, give or take a few ounces. Ironically I am still thinner now than in High School (a story for a different day).

When people who haven't seen me for a few months gasp at my leaner look (and I still have 25 pounds to go to be at my goal weight), I tell them counting calories, eating out WAAAAYYY less, and exercising 5 days per week. Then nearly all of them get this glazed look of disinterest and move on to some other topic. I guess they were hoping I'd say, "Oh...I am taking this magic pill and blah blah blah, viola-13 pounds gone like that!".

I recently watched, and recorded so I could watch it again, a series on HBO called "The Weight of the Nation". http://theweightofthenation.hbo.com/

It was shocking. It was eye-opening. It was so sad to see what has become of our diets, or activity level, and our general way of life. If you can watch the series in re-run I can HIGHLY recommend it.

I have known for a long time that there is no single "smoking gun" that we can point to and say "HA! That is what is making us fat!". We now live in a perfect storm of obesity. We eat too much processed food, drink too much soda and sugary juice (juice does not get a free pass), and we sit way too much. The other day a very nice lady with whom I was speaking said the dreaded "my problem is "CARBS"...If you have been reading my blog for a while, or if you know me personally, you know how this statement sends me into instant "YOU SUCK" mode. Your problem, sister, ain't the carbs. It's the carbs, the fat, the processed crap, and the sedentary lifestyle!

My hubby and I were talking about the difference in the Fruity Pebbles from 30 years ago when we were kids and today...why breakfast cereal was a 'healthy choice' in the 70's but, has been vilified now. We decided that when were were young, we'd eat the cereal, and then meet up with friends to ride bikes, or roller skate, or skate board (as the hubs did) for hours on end. Now kids eat the sugary fruity-cocoa-peanut butter-honey-marshmallow-crunchy-puffs and them meet up with their friends to play video/computer games. We take elevators and escalators instead of the stairs, we ride moving sidewalks instead of walking, and who goes outside and plays with their kids anymore?!?
Fought the Gorn and Won! Kirk's Rock, Vasquez National Roks Park-LA County, CA

Don't even get me started on soda, and sugary beverages. Gatorade, Powerade, Vitawater, Snapple-basically any 'juice' that didn't come straight from the fruit is still evil in my book. So when this article passed my desk this morning I felt compelled to share it. http://www.lisajohnsonfitness.com/curing-cancer-with-junk-food-charities-are-losing-focus/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LisaJohnsonFitness+%28Lisa+Johnson+Fitness%29&utm_content=FaceBook

If you don't have time to read it, it basically is slamming a certain fast food restaurant for selling a GIANT VAT OF SODA, and offering to donate a dollar to the National Juvenile Diabetes Foundation. The very thing that cause diabetes, is what you are selling to find a cure? REALLY!?! Y'all can only guess what I think of this.

Comments

Popular Posts