Buttermilk Biscuits (cheesy that is)

Happy Saturday Fellow Foodies!

This morning I was a bit homesick for my beloved old restaurant Anson in sunny Charleston, South Carolina. I was their Pastry Chef for quite a few years, and I dearly loved my job and the people I worked with and the Chefs I worked for. While I was there I developed a recipe for Cheese biscuits which were so yummy that on slow days I would just make a big batch for the staff to nibble while there.

I decided this morning to make a batch of these little yummy reminders of home to cheer myself up. Did it work? YES... yes it did! Here is the recipe!


Cheese Biscuits a la Anson
8oz. (That's one stick) butter cut into 6-8 pieces
2 cups all purpose flour (I like King Author flour best)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp. salt (please try to use Kosher)
3/4 cup Fresh Buttermilk
  *note-if you don't have buttermilk available remove the baking soda, increase the baking powder to 2 1/4 tsp. and just use plain milk.
1 cup shredded sharp or extra sharp cheddar cheese
3 green onions very thinly slices
1 tsp. smoked paprika (optional but recommended!)
   

Preheat the oven to 450F (425 if using convection). Place the butter and next four ingredients into a food processor with the blade attachment in place. Pulse on and off until the mixture resembles pebbly beach sand. Pour into a medium sized mixing bowl. Add the cheese, onions, and paprika.

With your fingers very gently toss the mixture together. Add the buttermilk, and either with a wooden spoon or with your hands (I use my hands), gently mix everything together to for a ball of dough. PLEASE DO NOT KNEAD THE DOUGH AS YOUR BISCUITS WILL BE TOUGH!!!

Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Pat it out to 3/4 of an inch thick. With a 2.5 inch round cutter, cut out your biscuits. Knead the remaining dough together and repeat the patting out a cutting process until you have used all of your dough. You should have 6-8 biscuits ready for the over.

Bake on the center rack of your oven 12-14 minutes.

Serve these little guys piping hot, and watch the smiles!

Comments

Popular Posts