Thai Brussels Sprouts

Hello Fellow Foodies!
If you have known me for any length of time, you know that I hate-nay, I abhor Brussels Sprouts. The very thought of them makes me shiver with horror. Recently, though, I have found two recipes that are not too terrible. As a mater of fact, I have discovered that I rather love Brussels Sprouts. Here is one of the recipes that I have discovered. I'll post the other one a different time. Enjoy!

Ingredients

4 cups halved Brussels sprouts
8 ounces shiitake or bella mushrooms-sliced
1 can whole water chestnuts-quartered 
Kosher salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons thinly sliced garlic
1/4 cup oyster sauce
4 teaspoons Thai fish sauce (nam pla)
2 teaspoons soy sauce, preferably Thai thin soy sauce (such as Healthy Boy)
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon (or more) 1/8"-thick slices of red Thai chilis
Pinch of ground white pepper
1/2 cup low-salt chicken broth 

 

Preparation




Blanch Brussels sprouts in a large pot of boiling salted water until bright green, about 15 seconds.

 Drain and rinse under icy water to stop the cooking process, and set aside.


Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and stir until light golden brown, about 30 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a small bowl. With the heat all the up on the highest setting add the mushrooms and saute until they are browned and reduced in size by about half.

Remove the mushrooms from the pan and set close by on the counter.




Leave the heat on high; add Brussels sprouts, and water chestnuts. Stir-fry until they begin to brown, 2–3 minutes. Add oyster sauce and next 5 ingredients, and the mushrooms. Stir-fry for 30 seconds; add chicken broth. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced slightly, about 2 minutes; add more chilies, if desired. Stir in garlic. Serve hot.
NOTE: I like to serve these little gems of yumminess with brown rice, gyoza and miso soup. But that's just me!



Comments

Popular Posts