A Party to Remember

A few weeks ago, I was asked by  friends to cater their going away party for around 40 adults. Naturally I said yes! Even though I have only known Sue and Adrian Wood for just less than a year, I have grown very fond of their friendship.
My very nice friends Sue and Adrian Wood
They are truly nice people with a lovely son to boot, Ben, who gets on wonderfully with my daughter Chloe. When they asked me to help them out, I was overjoyed to come to their aid with my catering skills.

It took two separate trips to Lancaster, and several days of work. My fridge was overflowing, and my hubby's beer/soda cooler in the garage had to be commandeered as well. My chest freezer was filled to capacity, and I hadn't even gotten down to the cooking yet!
You should see the bottom of the fridge! That's just the meat-all 36 Lbs of it!

I started on Thursday marinating the chicken for kabobs, and rubbing the beef (TRITIP), and baby back ribs with their separate seasonings. I cut veggies for salad and shredded cabbage for Asian slaw. Oh and I baked the layers and make butter cream icing for the cake...busy busy!

Friday I slow braised the rib for about 6 hours. while the ribs cooked I iced teh sheet cake, cut up the chicken, and mixed the salad greens.
Ribs with seasoning (recipe at bottom)

Slow-braised ribs after 6 hours at 275F
First thing Saturday morning I was off to the Wood's home to prepare for the BBQ. It was a lot of work for one person (even a Chef) to do from start to finish. I had a couple of tense moments when the grill caught on fire and I had to wait for someone to clean the grease (that Adrian had forgotten to clean out for me) in the drip pan of the grill.
It's all about the meat at a BBQ, baby!

OKAY...here are the side dished too-chips, slaw, salad, condiments, grilled sour dough rolls, and tortellini vinaigrette
Once that was done it was back to cooking a FAB dinner that everyone enjoyed-even I got to eat 2 plates...BUUUUURP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yes-and here is the rib rub that I use:
2 Tbs. smoked paprika
1 Tbs. each: ground cumin, ground coriander, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, and annato powder
1 tsp. Cayenne
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbs. kosher or sea salt

A word about Paprika: Paprika Health
Paprika is unusually high in vitamin C. Hungary's Nobel prize-winning Professor Szent Gyorgyi first discovered the vitamin in paprika chile peppers. The capsicum peppers used for paprika contain six to nine times as much vitamin C as tomatoes by weight.

High heat leaches the vitamins from peppers, thus commercially-dried peppers are not as nutritious as those dried naturally in the sun.

Comments

Popular Posts