Linguini with Shrimp Togarashi and Basil Oil

Yesterday the whole family drove to Oxnard, CA to go Whale Watching. It was Chloe's first time on the open ocean, and only her second time on a boat. I used to spend my entire summer hanging out on my Dad's boats in Salem, MA. But it's been many years since I've done so. For the past few years I've been experiencing extreme sea sickness at the mere thought of being on the ocean.  I was dreading the trip so much that I finally called my doctor for a prescription for the motion sickness patch that goes behind your ear.



BRILLIANT STUFF!!! After years of being unable to go boating, I am now set free to enjoy it once more. We were tossed about a good bit yesterday, but after 4.5 hours of 3-4 foot swells and lots of whale, dolphin, and sea lion sightings I felt great. (sadly the whales never got close enough to the boat to get a shot off the digital camera...oh well, we have the memories).

 It was worth all of the wacky side effects of the promethazine just to be able to see the joy on my daughter's face as we rode the waves and saw some amazing marine life and stunning scenery. If you've never been out to the Channel Islands off the coast of Ventura, I can highly recommend it just for the scenery alone!

So Now I am craving sea food...Here is one of my favorite recipes from the deep!

Linguine with Shrimp Togarashi, and Basil Oil


Oil
½ cup basil
½ cup olive oil
Combine in a blender and puree. Strain through a fine mesh strainer. Throw away and bit left behind. Save the oil in the Fridge up to 2 months.

Pasta
1 small onion-minced
1 lemon zested-reserve fruit
1 garlic clove-crushed
1 Tbs. olive oil
24 oz. clam juice
½ cup dry white wine
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 Lb. Linguine
1 Lb. 24-30 shrimp-peeled and deveined
1 Tbs. Shichimi Togarashi
In a heavy sauce pan heat the oil and saute the onions, lemon zest, and garlic over medium heat until onions are cooked through-about 5 minutes.  Add clam juice and wine; simmer until the liquid is reduced to about 1 ½ cups. Add the cream and continue to simmer until the cream mixture is reduced to 1 ½ cups. Meanwhile cook the pasta according to package directions. Sprinkle the shrimp with the shichimi togarashi and sauté in a little olive oil until done. Toss the pasta into the cream sauce and divide among 4 pasta plates. Place the cooked shrimp over the pasta and then drizzle a little basil oil over the top.  Serve with Parmesan cheese on the side.
NOTE: This recipe works well with little neck clams, scallops, and crab meat too!

Comments

Popular Posts