Salsa Verde

Yesterday we had a BBQ of sorts. I say of sorts, because we were unable to use our grill. Why, you ask? It was the hurricane force winds that seem to be a normal part of the spring-time weather here. Fortunately, for me, I have an indoor alternative. My Husband, Steve, bought me a little indoor grill last year for a gift. It is a wonderful and highly useful piece of kitchen equipment. So I was thanking heaven... and Steve for being able to save the day with my little baby grill!







For our "Cook-out" indoors, we have carne asada on the "grill", and carnitas that a friend of mine brought over-Thanks Lori! I made bean dip, pickled jalapenos, red rice, and several salsas. Yes it was a Hispanic type Easter Luncheon...lots of fun, and so yummy. One of the salsas that I made was a tomatillo Salsa Verde. I picked up the recipe for it about 15 years ago from Food and Wine Magazine-which, sadly, is no longer in print. Oh well...At least I still have the recipe!

SALSA VERDE
20 tomatillos
1-2 garlic clover-crushed
1 green jalapeno-stem removed and cut in half lengthwise
1/2 cup cilantro-chopped
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 Tbs. sugar
Remove the papery husks from the tomatillos and wash them in a little warm water. Turn on the broiler in the oven and roast them, stem side down, for about six minutes until they start to turn brown. Flip them over and roast another 5-6 minute. They will be collapsed and watery looking. Place them with any juice on the sheet pan into a blender. Place all the other ingredients on top of the tomatillos. Pulse on and off until you reach the desired consistancy (I like mine mostly smooth, but chunky is very nice too). Be very careful because the salsa is HOT. You can serve it right away hot or let it cool and use it as a dip. It will hold for 5-7 days in the fridge.


Chef's notes: this salsa is great served hot on chicken and fish. You can add diced onions if you like them, but I do find that the onions tend to overpower the flavor of the rest of the salsa so if I want onions, I just dice them and add them last minute.

Comments

Popular Posts