New Year's Eve foods around the world

So I have 11 hours and 15 minutes to eat like there is no tomorrow, because tomorrow is January 1, 2012. I will be partaking in a vegan fruit and veggie 10 day cleanse, and this year I really need it. I started eating around Halloween and haven't stopped yet! I have done this 10 days cleanse before with great success, and I am strangely looking forward to it, since I have been overindulging for WAY too long, I really feel like this year I need it.

With all that said, my usually New Years Eve celebration food is Buffalo Style Wings. Here are a few dishes that are served around the world on New Years Eve for Luck, prosperity, and longevity:

Buckwheat soba noodles are served at New Year's festivities in Japan to ensure a long life.

Like most round foods, beans symbolize money and prosperity in many cultures. But the type of legume traditionally consumed for the New Year depends on where you live. Italians and Brazilians eat lentils, the Japanese eat sweet black beans called Kuro-mame,

and in the southern USA people eat black-eyed peas in a dish called Hoppi'John.

In Mexico and many South American countries, instead of doing a champagne toast, New Year's Eve revelers eat 12 grapes at the stroke of midnight, one for each month in the coming year. If a grape is sweet, it will be a good month, and if it's sour, well, you get the idea.

Citrus is a positive symbol for the Chinese New Year, observed on the first day of the first lunar month.

In Turkey, pomegranates symbolize good luck because of their red color and round seeds, which represent money and prosperity.

But wherever you are and however you celebrate, this is one happy Chef wishing all you , dear readers, a safe, happy, prosperous, and luck filled 2012!!!

COOK JOYFULLY!!!!

Comments

Popular Posts